There are two weeks left in the Football Season, and you are parking yourself in front of the couch every Sunday to watch the big game. In the process you seemingly forget about your significant other, you have disappeared for eight hours on Sundays without leaving your home. This isn’t a problem if you are a lucky guy who has a women who likes football, or one who at least understands your propensity to turn into a couch potato when the Cowboys are on. But for many guys this isn’t the case, here are several tips to keep you in the good graces with your woman and still get your football fix.
- Introduce her to the game and some of it’s players: By doing this you are inviting her to share something you enjoy with you, and she will probably start to enjoy watching because she can “girl watch” the games. Before you know it she will be asking you when do the Patriots play, so that she can gawk at Tom Brady all game.
- Don’t ever use the excuse “it’s football season” that is a sure fire way to ensure you will be spending your Sundays making amends to get back in her good graces, if you forget to do something and it is because you were watching the game just keep it simple “sorry babe I forgot”.
- Setup a night out for her and her friends that will just happen to coincide with the time that the game comes on.
- Use TiVo to record the game, and take your lady out for a nice time. But be sure to avoid any places that will show the game, and avoid using any technology to check the score if you are able to avoid hearing any details you will enjoy watching it on TiVo just as if you were watching it live.
- If she really doesn’t like football, but is willing to sit down and watch the game with you don’t get frustrated when she asks questions. I know this can be frustrating at times, but remember she can easily demand that you turn the T.V. to Lifetime and an argument will ensue. Answer the questions tell her what a first down is, talk about what the red challenge flag is for trust me this will payoff big in the long run.
- If you are loud and obnoxious during the games, and tend to yell at every touchdown, interception or big hit then you may want to watch the game at a sports bar. Your significant other decided to watch T.V. in another room and let you watch the game on the Big Screen, but your loud noises are interrupting her enjoyment and bringing the game into the room with her. Don’t waste these nice gestures or you may never see them again.
- Take her to a pro football game, typically most people won’t say no to going to a professional sporting event especially a football game. Take her with you, and let her take in the spectacle that is pro football, see if you can even get her in a photo with one of the players. You may have just created a football fan for life, and now you will be able to watch your beloved sport on Sundays without an resistance.
- If you are dating an athletic type of woman sign up for a Co-ed flag football league, this is a great way to introduce her to the game and an activity both of you can do together. The bonus to this is both of you will get a great workout as well, so this is the ultimate option if you can pull it off.
These strategies won’t work on every woman, but at the minimum they will see you are making some type of effort to put them before football. Football is one of the things that can be polarizing in a relationship, it can bring you together or push you apart. You have to know the person you are with well enough to know what tactics will work, so that you will have time to watch the big game. If you take the bull headed approach and choose to not take her feelings into consideration you are causing yourself more pain and stress over the long run when it isn’t necessary. Follow these eight tips, or come up with some on your own to make sure your relationship survives football season.